Women of Real Estate
At the ripe age of 26-years old Sissy Knopps decided to leave her nine to five and embark on a real estate career. Married with two children at that time, she was inspired by both the ability to create her own schedule as well as help couples find a home to make lasting memories in, similar to what an agent had done for her in the past when she and her husband purchased their 3-bedroom (plus office), 2-bath, ranch style home on a half acre lot in Wisconsin.
Fast-forward four years and Sissy is mere 30-years old, still happily married and now a mother of three. She’s come a long way since the beginning of her journey and she’s experienced great success. Some of her accolades include: top sales agent of the month, multiple times for her Coldwell Banker office and in 2017 she was recognized globally and became member of the International Sterling Society. Her husband Mike is a Realtor as well, as of late their total sales volume looks like this: 2015, $7.9 million. In 2016, $8.1 million and in 2017 they reached a combined $12.3 million with Sissy being solely responsible for 9.2 million of the total.
In 2016 she and Mike took on their first flip project. Here are some things she wanted to share that might help you as you embark on your real estate investment career.
- In terms of overall property selection – “I try to steer clear of really old homes but overall you want good bones and a solid foundation.”
- In terms of renovating – “The key to finding a good flip is being able to envision what it could be. You have to look past a lot and imagine what it would look like completed. [This includes] “Things like moving walls, types of flooring and finishes, exterior and landscaping.”
- In terms of financing and budgeting – “It can be tough, make sure you look at the comps and are making a smart investment.”
- In terms of saving money – “Doing the demo yourself can save money and so can doing some of the renovations however, never cut corners, or do shoddy work to just save a few dollars.”
- Overall advice – “Be smart, stay within your budget and treat it as if it were your own home.”
If you’re looking to get your start in real estate investing and need a strong financial partner or would like to speak to an experienced hard money lender, contact us!